Tuesday 11 December 2012

Change your life, one lipstick at a time



I’ve been thinking a lot today about my quest to change my life with red lipstick.  

I’ve started channelling my 50’s housewife by eating better, and cooking more. I’ve been a little less lax with the housework and I’ve started taking more pride in my home. I’ve also started taking more pride in my appearance. Wearing red lipstick means I have to dress to suit it; it makes me get my nails done and wear flattering clothing and perfume.

I suppose the biggest thing is red lipstick means I can’t blend in - I’m constantly drawing attention to myself whether it’s walking the dog, going to the doctors or heading off on a night out.

I know that some people may think I look strange, or over-dressed, but for the first time in my life I’m training myself not to care. I don’t know if this is something that happens to everyone but ever since I can remember I’ve always had “that voice” in my head. The one that tells me how big I look every time I put on weight, how over-dressed I look when I dress up, how much of an idiot I’m making of myself every time I put myself out there.

If pushed I could probably tell you where these voices originate, but that’s not important anymore. I could spend hours raking through all the reasons why but that’s something I am determined to move past. Quite simply, everything that happened previously doesn’t matter anymore because the only way to change is just to do it. Focusing on the past means you can’t move forwards and that is what I’m so desperate to do right now.

By wearing red lipstick I am making a statement. I am making myself impossible to ignore and dealing with everything that comes with that.

So once I’ve put myself out there I might as well go the whole hog...

So today I signed up for Burlesque classes... and signed up to volunteer at a local greyhound sanctuary... and phoned up my local volunteer coordinator to see about volunteering in a couple of children’s centres.

And I’m not stopping there either – oh no.

Watch out world. Mrs Player’s on her way....

And she’s in red lippy.

Mrs P
X x x x x x x x x x x x x x

2 comments: