Friday 7 December 2012

Faith


Learning to Believe


It’s strange.

Recently I’ve been thinking about my employment status. It’s quite complex really because I constantly consider myself as unemployed, but I still have been working as a paid musician.

So why don’t I consider myself a musician?

There are a few factors really.

I suppose firstly I’m still holding onto the fact that I studied for a lot of years to do something other than music. Music has always been my love and something that has been a huge part of my life but I never ever considered I might be able to make anything of it. So I've spent a lot of years planning the career I thought I'd have, I wanted to work with children, particularly children with special needs. So I suppose it’s hard to let go of that idea, even if it’s a pretty impossible dream in the current climate.

Secondly there’s the “what ifs”. What if this doesn’t work out and I never manage to get into a ‘career’ later on? What if we can’t make enough money to live? What if the pressure is too much?

Thirdly, and mainly, there’s the fear.

I am terrified. Terrified of failing. Terrified of rejection. To put it plainly terrified of not being good enough. But why am I so scared?

I do get stage fright, but no more than any other person. And I've had my fair share of **** ups. There’s the time I forgot every single word to my first song on stage and sang a string of what can only be described as gibberish mixed with random words that quite possibly culminated into a beautiful love song about the duck billed platypus.

There was the time my wig almost fell off on stage in front of 500 odd people.

Or the time I started a gig at a care home for people with Alzheimer’s with the now immortal phrase “Who remembers the 50’s!!”

Not one of my finest moments....

But I know I can blag the bad times.

As for rejection... oh boy have I been rejected. Each time it feels like the worst pain I could ever go through. I never thought I’d survive, yet somehow each time I have. And each time I've come out that little bit stronger and more prepared to fight.

So I guess it comes down to not being good enough. That’s the one big thing holding me back. I constantly think that I’m not good enough, I don’t play well enough, don’t sing well enough. I’m not pretty enough, not slender enough, no-one will ever want to work with me.

There is nothing more terrifying than throwing yourself out there to be judged and it is something that I am no good at.

But maybe I need to learn to believe in myself. Maybe that’s why I have to wear the red lipstick. It’s that self-belief. Because – let’s face it – if I don’t believe in myself who else is going to? I've got to get rid of that little voice telling how useless I am and start channeling my red lipstick voice.

I've got to believe I can do this.


Mrs P

x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x 

No comments:

Post a Comment