Thursday 15 November 2012

fake it till you make it!



Day Three

 

So here’s the thing, I’ve got Menieres disease – for a full NHS sponsored description please see

In order to describe the day-to-day effects I will describe a typical bedtime in the Player household...

It’s late, Mr P is already zonked out and snoring in front of whatever we’ve put on the box, mini-P is having little doggy dreams under the blanket and I am surfing around the internet. When... BAM... it’s dizzy o’clock.

The room spins and my head suddenly feels like it weighs 100 pounds. I hold onto the sofa and try to look normal while Mr P mumbles incoherently and shuffles off to the bathroom. Now he’s gone I decide to try and get myself into the bedroom and into bed with minimal fuss, without letting Mr P know that it’s happening again. Unfortunately on this particular night getting upright seems like too much of a challenge so, being resourceful, I decide to crawl to the bedroom. Needless to say the whippet finds this hilarious and bounces on my head a few times to help.

Of course I don’t always crawl. Most of the time I attempt to walk. This isn’t overly successful...

In fact usually I bounce from corner to corner like a homicidal pin ball. Plus I think I can guarantee that there isn’t a surface in our home that I haven’t collided with at some point. Door handles are the worst.  

So, last night, I manage to crawl into the bedroom. Unfortunately this isn’t the end of my quest. Now I need to figure out how I’m going to get into bed. This sounds simple but I can’t quite remember which way is up. So, I lie down. I’m still there ten minutes later when Mr P appears at the doorway.

“Not again!” He sighs and reaches down to peel his wreck of a wife up off the floor. He used to be quite gentle and caring but I think he’s starting to take advantage. For instance the last few times he’s had to put me into bed he’s started using a new ‘pirouette’ technique where he gets me under the covers in a complicated flip and spin.

I’m not sure I approve.

My balance is wrecked; in the dark I’m worse than a drunken double jointed contortionist in rough seas. I often feel sick and sometimes even turning my head too quickly can make me feel like falling over. The worst part is going to bed. I lie down; close my eyes, then floor opens up and the bed drops like a ride at alton towers. It can take me a few goes before it settles. I also have permanent tinnitus which varies. On a good night it just sounds like the static ‘white noise’ you get off a T.V., on a bad night it’s a veritable symphony of varying noises at various pitches.

There isn’t a lot I can do about it. I just live with the symptoms and live with the fact that I can start a cluster of vertigo attacks at any point. One day I will start to lose hearing in one or both ears.

I’m really not after sympathy. A lot of people put up with far worse than I ever have. Yes it sucks but in the grand scheme of things I’m lucky. Mr P is brilliant, supportive, caring and always able to laugh about it. The thing is, sometimes I worry that I’m losing my femininity. Mr P has had to care for me a lot, he has had to help me to the bathroom and even wash me on occasion. So it’s important to me to still feel like I’m attractive.

So that has been today’s red lipstick challenge!

Today I have decided to beautify. This morning I made a pot of tea and painted my nails. 




Red, Naturally


Then it was time to head to the beauticians to get waxed. I hoped crossed my fingers and hoped that the red lipstick might stop it from hurting too much.



I was wrong...

Still after a day of pampering (fingernails, toenails, eyebrows and waxing) I felt better. Red lipstick me likes feeling groomed, it helps me to feel feminine and helps me to feel confident, even when a girl I never met before is ripping my hair out at the follicles while I grimace and move into ever-more humiliating positions.

Hopefully it’ll also mean that next time I wobble a lot and fall over I’ll look like an attractive groomed drunk chick instead of an uncoordinated weeble. And fingers crossed my husband will still fancy me!

Mrs P

X x x x x x x x x

P.S after my grooming session I decided to go home and have some soup and a roll. Unfortunately my rolls were now in the dog bed...

They're rolls... don't be so childish



And the dog was trying very hard to convince me it wasn’t her....




But we made up :)

 



1 comment:

  1. It's funny where we find our confidence. Mine is always having a bottle of water or a small piece of chocolate with me. Sounds all rather random I know. I can sympathise with feeling like the Mr has to do more for me than he should. xx

    ReplyDelete