Tuesday 8 January 2013

Applying Your Red Lipstick - A Tutorial

How to apply your red lippy - By Mrs P




Firstly you need to make sure your lips are fresh and ready. There is nothing less appealing than dry lips caked in red lipstick. I like to gently exfoliate my face using St Ives Gentle Apricot Scrubs. If my lips are really dry I’ll apply a little Vaseline and then blot it off for the perfect canvas for my lippy. 



Then I will apply my foundation to my face and make sure to also rub it onto my lips. Note: this is for when I need my red lipstick for a big occasion and specifically if it needs to stay on for a long amount of time. After applying the foundation I blot my lips and then lightly dust powder over my face and lips. This creates the perfect base for a red lipstick. 





Next it’s time for a lip liner. Match your liner to your lipstick as closely as possible. Marilyn Monroe used to line outside of her lips for as big a pout as possible. I prefer to line just inside the lip as my lips are quite plump and it would look quite strange to increase them. Really it depends on your lips, experiment with your lipstick and lip liner until you’ve found the look that works for you. Just make sure - if you do line outside the lips – that your lipstick will stay put. There’s nothing worse than a pair of lined lips with no lipstick filling them!

Point in case!


After your liner it’s time for the lipstick! Many women say that red lipstick doesn’t suit them but there is a red for everyone. As I am pale with dark hair I prefer to use a brighter red as dark reds make me look a bit too gothic and pinky reds wash me out. Of course this is mainly personal preference as many would not recommend bright red lipsticks for a pale complexion, if you are searching for the perfect red for a special occasion I would recommend visiting a beauty counter. Otherwise it’s more a question of trial and error, you know what looks best on you better than anyone else and don’t be afraid to experiment. My current favourite red lipstick is Rimmel’s Kiss of Life red lipstick designed by Kate Moss.




For the perfect stay-put red lips beauticians recommend using a lip brush, this ensures you can completely fill in your lips and it will stay on longer. If you are out and about, don’t have time or have lost your lip brush (all things that happen to me quite regularly) then I recommend blotting rather than swiping on your lipstick. 




As you apply it pays to stretch your mouth wide to make sure your lipstick won’t crack and pay attention to the corners of your mouth. Even though your lips look fully covered when closed they may not when you’re talking or smiling. 

Look in the mirror and smile widely to make sure your lips are fully coated!


After you’ve applied your first coat of lipstick then blot it carefully with a tissue and reapply for maximum effect. Marilyn Monroe reportedly applied up to 4 coats – it depends on how confident you feel!

Finally I apply my secret weapon. 



Lipcote is available in all pharmacies, it costs about £4.99 and it is invaluable for lipstick wearers. Once your lipstick is in place then brush the lipcote over your lips – note that if your lips are dry or cracked this will sting! – then leave them apart for a while until they are dry. Note: The liquid is usually clear - it goes pink after you use it on red lips all the time!

Your lipstick should now stay put no matter what! These techniques have ensured  that my lipstick has remained in place during two hour long performances, eating, drinking, you name it! If I’ve gone to bed really tired I’ve even woken up with my lipstick still on.

What you do with your eyes is personal choice. I like to keep mine quite soft and use brown pencils rather than black eyeliner but I’ve seen people with really dramatic eyes and red lipstick. Again, trial what works for you.

The final, and most important, step is what happens later when you have finished. Removing your makeup properly is key to keeping your skin healthy. I always try to take mine off using Ponds Cold Cream 




It's amazing stuff - inexpensive and used by celebrities to keep their skin nice. It's exceptionally deeply cleansing  and makes your face feel amazing!I'll follow this with a toner and then a moisturiser. 

It’s also important to give your skin a break which is why I never wear makeup during the day if I have a gig or event in the evening save a bit of mascara.

So there you go! Perfect red lips for every occasion.

Mrs P

x x x x x x x x x x x x x x 


No comments:

Post a Comment