Monday 7 January 2013

One Week Dry



First week alcohol free


So as I told you last week I have given up alcohol for January as part of Cancer Research’s Dryathlon.

How is it going?


It is hard.... so much harder than I ever expected. It isn’t drinking lots that I miss, I have no desire to get drunk (believe it or not I never intend to get drunk – I consider it a side effect) what I really miss is that evening glass of wine. The cravings start around 6pm, Mr P is home, I’m starting to think about cooking dinner and we’ve got the telly on. It’s around then that usually I will pour myself a little drink. Either a rose wine, occasionally red or when I’m feeling a little run down I’ll have a whiskey mac (one part whiskey to two parts ginger wine, amazing cold remedy).

I’ll usually only ever have one. Sometimes I’ll pour myself a second but I’ll never finish it. It’s just a little ritual for me and it helps me relax when I’ve been on the go.

Now – when 6pm rolls around – I’m tetchy and cross. It’s then, more than any other time, that I feel I really want a drink. I’ve also had a lot of headaches, I’m not sure if that’s the lack of alcohol of whether it’s withdrawal from all the sugar I’ve been eating over Christmas.

I actually found the weekend quite easy. I don’t really go out so it’s not like I’m one of these girls that likes to go to bars and drink loads at the weekend. I did miss my Sunday afternoon drink though after walking around the Essex countryside with Mr P.

I don’t know if I feel better on it yet. I certainly hate hangovers so I don’t miss those but I don’t think I would’ve had one yet anyway.

I’m yet to try gigging without alcohol so that could be interesting....

But it doesn’t matter as I have decided that a red lipstick girl does not need alcohol. She is beyond these needs and can subsist solely on fresh spring water with a twist of lemon.

Can she b*llocks.


Actually I have decided to look to my red lipstick icons for inspiration and have decided that when I finally am able to start drinking again I shall only drink champagne and the finest liqueurs. Which, as we can barely afford a nice bottle of Jacobs creek, should actually cut down my drinking quite dramatically! I’ve told Mr P it’s good economising... he thinks the red lipstick is turning me into a Diva. 

We'll see who's right...



I think going alcohol free has taught me that I don’t need to just drink for the sake of it. So maybe when I start again I’ll be able to just stick to the occasional one, then I really will be able to afford good quality alcohol!

Or maybe by that point I’ll be so desperate for a drink that come 0:01 on February 1st 2013 I’ll be down the pub with 20 shots of tequila racked up in front of me.

Time will tell.

Mrs P

X x x x x x x x x x


No comments:

Post a Comment