Wednesday 16 January 2013

Video Killed the Radio Star! (hopefully not literally...)



Today I feel like a star!


Because - Today I presented my first ever radio show!

To get to this point I need to back up a few weeks to just before Christmas when Mr P and I played a local gig. At the end of the night I was approached by one of the organisers who had read this blog and asked if I’d be interested in hosting a radio show.

I thought about it and decided it seemed like a fun idea – why not! So when I received a phone call I quickly agreed and within days found myself down at the radio station signing pieces of paper and reading training manuals. The next day I sat and watched the morning breakfast show and before I knew it I was assigned the Wednesday afternoon radio slot from 1 – 3.30pm... starting next Wednesday.... in 6 days time.

Still, I reasoned, 6 days is fine. I’ve had far less time to prepare for gigs and handled it ok (ish).

What I didn’t count on was how busy I was this weekend. Still, I had my training yesterday evening and I figured I could put my show together then...

How wrong I was.

So today at about half 11 I high tailed it down to the studio with a list of about 25 songs which I thought would be more than enough to keep me going for 2 and a half hours.

Wrong again Mrs P.... there’s a theme here.

What I had failed to take into account was that people back in the 50’s/60’s as a general rule HATED songs that went over the 2 and a half minute mark.... not helpful when you’re trying to fill time! Then I was asked what I had written in my script.... erhmmmmmmmm.

I was sure it’d be ok.

Well mostly sure.

Once it got started I was terrified but I took a deep breath, touched up my lipstick, put on my radio voice and dived in.

And I loved it! Every second! After about the first half an hour I had been left completely on my own and, more importantly, I had relaxed. I was dancing in my chair like an idiot, singing along and had quite honestly forgotten that there were people listening in. However I couldn’t forget for long. The texts, emails, facebook messages and tweets all reminded me that I had so many lovely people rooting for me and it meant more than I could ever express!

The two and a half hours raced by and before I knew it the drivetime presenter had arrived and was putting together his show in the chair opposite me.

Then came my absolute favourite moment.

I playing my last few tunes, happy and secure in the knowledge I had done a good job, when I started chatting to Mr Drivetime.

“So how long have you been doing this?” He asked.

“About 2 hours.” I replied nonchalantly.

“You are joking?!” He exclaimed incredulously, “That’s amazing! You sound brilliant!”

Well a little bit of flattery always helps a girl....

Pictured : Amazing Broadcaster - FACT


So now I’m going to take all this confidence and go shake my money-maker at Burlesque class. In high heels. And shorts. And maybe a corset.

Wish me luck!

Mrs P

X x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment